1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thors just seem useless.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Galgus, Sep 10, 2010.

Thors just seem useless.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Galgus, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tankor

tankor New Member

Thors to me are a later game unit.

But they are effective.

I think most importantly they have more range vs ground then marine or marauders. So I add them to
    that MM ball & they can stand at the back & still hit stuff. They also have insane air range, so just having 1
    or 2 with your main army will give you a few free shots on muta's or something that get alittle to close.

I tend to add them later in the game, but my army sure feels alot more beefed up with a few thors. Not a
    unit I build a ton of, but a few in my army seems to complement the other units nicely. There also not to bad on D at your base, you can leave them by themselves more than any other unit & mass repair with SCV's .

2. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    they (ionno who) say that to counter mass muta+lings you should go thors and marines with hellions. how do you deal with the muta maneuverability?

its just its really gas heavy

3. cybykillers

cybykillers New Member

the problem with the ghosts is that very few people actually build them. they are expensive and they die easily with detection. it is also hard to micro mmm with ghosts.

4. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    ^wrong thread lol

5. cybykillers

cybykillers New Member

^ there are some people on the other page talking about ghosts.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    It is very hard to micro ghosts with your MMM ball. In fact it's ridiculous. Gonna write an article about only that.

I've also stopped building tanks against Protoss as they're essentially useless. Gotta go Bio/Ghost/Viking. Only hope is to EMP those dam Templars.

I side with Wodan on this one.

7. Reldric

Reldric New Member

Las Vegas
    I think it comes down to ultimately different playstyles. Personally I am willing to trade mobility for range, and damage potential. I understand some people may feel that tanks are useless or less effective against the heavier armored Protoss, and while its obvious to me why they are not it ultimately comes down to a difference of opinion.

However, on the subject of microing ghosts in an mm ball, simply have 1 hotkey the WHOLE ball with marines primary, and the 2nd ball the ghosts alone. with the primary ball selected press t for stim and then move the ghosts around at will.

8. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    what i learned today from a match...never save up for thors. only build them when you have access sources. sigh wish i was at least in gold :(

9. Eliam

Eliam New Member

I used to think that they were useless until I started using them against Zerg, specially when they go either banelings or Hydralisk, at the same time they can deal with mutas, and if backed by rines, they became even more powerful

10. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Instead of investing resources into tanks with seige mode, a far scarier army mix is marines maruders and thors.. (With nighthawk and proper amount of medivacs.

From a protoss player, I am more afriad of one thor than I am of 2-3 seige tanks.

Having thors means I have to get immortals or void rays(For a proper unit mix counter), which I don't need to do if you had seige tanks. And while it is true a large amount of other units can kill thors, its still much harder to do then vs tanks.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Australia
    The best way is to mix your army up, if your good you know what you suppose to build always spy and scan ur opponents see what they are building and always counter it :). goodluck.,

12. Alsojames

Alsojames New Member

I've completely owned an enemy with a Thor/Marine rush. Zerg, too. Simply learned from my mistakes:

1. Attacked zerg base, 20 marines (roughly) with 3 Thors for armored support

2. Got MASS rushed by zerglings, brought their numbers down to around half before lost my marines and my Thors got surrounded and owned.

3. Built up a second army of Marines, but THIS time, fully upgraded Vehicle Armor for my Thors. Assaulted the base again. Did a lot of damage but THIS time, after losing my marines and getting rushed by Zerglings, revelled in the fact that the 30-or-so zerglings vs my 5 Thors only did 1 damage a hit. boomala boomala.

Simply put: Thors are a great unit. All you have to do is adapt and overcome like I did in the above example. Upgrade the armor, it'll save your ***.

13. Raynor

Raynor New Member

Thors are great against lots of smaller air units like mutas and banshees because of their splash damage. Their worst enemies are roaches, marauders, zealots, immortals, zerglings, and void rays. I usually never get them when facing terran unless they get siege tanks with vikings. Against protoss i NEVER get them. They suck so bad against them.

Thors are best used to the thor drop which works well on lost temple when your opponent expands early, a common strategy with zerg players. They are good with a group of SCVs around them to heal them up while taking damage.

Also I like getting a few of them against lings, banelings, and mutas because controlling the marines around them works well. But then again siege tanks are better for that since they have splash damage. Not a lot of people take advantage of their 250 cannon to take out an expo with 3 or 4 of them but then again it is probably just a waste of time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  14. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    If you want to be taken seriously and avoid being regarded a troll, do not post about things you don't know anything about. Just a tip.

15. Ragnarok

Ragnarok New Member

Against zerg I find a few Thor's in a mix of rines really helps against the ling muta build, especially
    if the mutas bunch up

16. Vincentcnbres

Vincentcnbres New Member

I might try them some against Zerg then, but they still seem ineffective- especially if the Zerg player gets Broodlings