1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Dump the power supply. It's 650W max power so continuous is probably around 500W or even less. Newegg has a nice sale on the Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 ($70). Very good price for a decent quality modular PSU.

I think you chose DDR2-1066 RAM and that's not gonna work on your motherboard. The good news is you can get DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 for less.

Also, do you already have a Windows license? Otherwise, that's going to be an extra hundred bucks.

Ultra is doable as long as you have AA disabled. If you enable AA, then you'd have to drop down to high as the 9800 GTX+ isn't capable of ultra+AA without some slowdown.

2. qwerty

qwerty Guest

Thanks for helping me out! I was thinking. Since the power supply was cheaper w/ 650watt, what is the difference between the corsair one? I'm such a newb at this lol. Well this is my new update and no I don't have an OS so i have to buy one :(.

This is updated and what I have so far. What is the cheapest I can go with an OS, wtih the right GPU etc. to have SC2 run on ultra high settings with AA. What adjustments can I make here?

($76)Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036&Tpk=Cooler Master Silent Pro M600

($70)Computer Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517004

($221) Motherboard + Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456515

($121)GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...339&cm_re=geforce_9800-_-14-130-339-_-Product

($80)RAM - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-TW3X4...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282852615&sr=8-2

($48)Hard Drive - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...282761302&sr=1-1&seller=&colid=&condition=new

($23)CD/DVD Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Total - $639

3. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Aug-0-2010/clearance8EZ6/index-landing.html

Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Free Shipping, EMCYWNT27
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $15 off, EMCYWNT34

As for the power supply, I mentioned Cooler Master and not Corsair. Although I do prefer Corsair to Cooler Master, there aren't any good deals on Corsair power supplies at the moment. As for the difference between Cooler Master and the Thermaltake you originally linked to, the Cooler Master is higher quality. Here's a review of the 750W model from the same family. If the 750W can't even deliver a clean 600W, I highly doubt its younger brother will.

If you want ultra with AA, next step up on the NVIDIA side is the GTX 460 (~$200). That's probably the best option as I'm not sure if ATI has fixed AA issues with SC2. From SC2 reviews, ATI cards suffer a higher performance penalty when enabling AA compared to NVIDIA. Again, though, the 9800 GTX+ should be capable of high with AA, and frankly there really isn't much difference between ultra and high image quality-wise. You get some reflections and better lighting (I think shadows, too?) with ultra but those things (in particular the lights) actually bother me when playing.

If you don't already have a Windows license available, I'd recommend Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM (also called System Builder). It's usually $100 but I've seen it go for $80 on occasion. If you're a college student, then you can get Windows for cheaper (maybe even free through MSDN AA, check with your IT department).

4. qwerty

qwerty Guest

I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

5. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    The FSAA issue has been addressed with the new Cat 10.8 driver that came out a few days ago.

6. jhibby

jhibby New Member

So I have my computer put together exept the graphics card. I tryed to power it up and the light on the front of the case blinks then the system never turns on. I hit the reset button and the light just blinks once and the computer dusnt power up. Im alittle freeked.lol Do you have to have the graphics card instaled for the computer to boot up? I thought that this mobo had a card already built in.

I checked to make sure all the plugs are seated properly and that the front panel header wires arent crossed.

7. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Couldn't find a post detailing what mobo+CPU you bought. However, if you went the LGA-1156 route with a Core i5-750/760 processor, then that's normal. You're gonna have to wait for the graphics card to get it working. Intel has moved the iGPU from the motherboard chipset to the CPU and the only LGA-1156 processors that have it are the dual-core Clarkdales (i3-530, i5-660, etc). If you've got a spare GPU, you could try that just to test if your hardware's working. :)

8. jhibby

jhibby New Member

No, I went with the gigabyte amd setup. I thought it had one built in.

9. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Ah, then yes, it's supposed to have an IGP. Strip the build to the basics (PSU+MB+CPU+1 stick RAM). Double-check your wiring and try reseating your heatsink,

10. jhibby

jhibby New Member

Wow, I striped the whole thing down and rebuilt and im having the same problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to get alittle woried. Im getting my graphics card and OS in a couple days, hopfuly after I put the card in it will work. The power light just blinks and nothing kicks on. :confused:

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Depending on the MOBO you purchased you DO need a video card of some sort to start the system up. ;)

By the way, guys, this REALLY isn't a tech support thread. It's solely for discussing the build itself and any builds you might have.... Make new threads or search for existing ones.

12. jhibby

jhibby New Member

Sorry, Im a forum newb. I will wait for my vid card and if I have any problems I will look at a dif thread. Didnt meen to clog it up.lol ( facepalm)

13. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

First look at Sandy Bridge performance in SC2 and the numbers are looking very nice indeed.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/11

Given it's just a few months until release, Sandy Bridge might actually be worth waiting for (pending possible overclocking issues).

Wonder when we'll see some numbers from Bulldozer.

14. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Umm, you do realize it's exactly a month since SC2's release, right? If not, from what rock did you crawl under?

Nvm, spambot. They've gotten really sophisticated nowadays. >=\

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  15. lostcause44

lostcause44 New Member

Alrighty guys, I built this computer and I love it, but I am having a few issues. I play star craft and its good and smooth..... most of the time, I have one freeze up and it tells me to lower my performance settings to get a better quality. What settings should I use for my over all computer to keep up with all that the game needs? When I first downloaded the game it said I meet the minimum requirements that starcraft needed to run and I would love to meet the full standards so I can enjoy the game more. Plus I tried to play a demo of modern warfare and it cracked out and went crazy colors and froze. I have spent way to much money on this computer for the quality to be equal to my grandmas 10 year old ACER. Please someone help me get this PC full throttle.

16. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Try running Furmark for stability testing. If it's also acting up in other games, it's possible you got a faulty card.

17. lostcause44

lostcause44 New Member

I did the fur test and showed a constant High quality output from the video card and the game does great most of the time, every now and then it tells me to adjust my performance options to get better game play and I have no clue what to adjust because I'm a dumb newbie. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX. Any help is appreciated.

18. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Let's split this issue off into its own thread now, we'll treat it like a normal tech support trouble shooting season. Copying last few post to a new thread here.

Please continue this conversation in that thread.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  19. Sorth

Sorth New Member

Same problem

First, let me say THANK YOU for this wonderful forum to help me build a computer. It was so much fun and it runs great...but

I have the exact same issue as Lost Cause 44. My computer is very close to the same specs as his as I built if off the main article that Joneagle wrote. Only real difference is I have a GeForce GTS 250, which has the exact same tech specs as Lostcauses Geforce 9800

Bottom line, I cannot run Starcraft 2 on ultra smoothly. It freezes for 2 seconds every 30 seconds. I feel i've installed everything properly, but before you go on about how I should run programs to check it I wanted to ask this,

Is it possible that our video cards just aren't powerful enough? We both have the same issue.

Has anyone actually built this computer and run SC2 on utral smoothly besides us?

Thoughts? And thanks again for so much help already! :)

20. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    Sorth, I am splitting your post into its own thread. Please continue here. I want people to try my settings (which I am going to post) for the 9800GTX/GT250 to see if it helps them out.