1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

TUTORIAL: Buying a Computer for StarCraft 2 for under $650

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by MeisterX, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Jeeshburger

Jeeshburger Guest

is this everything?

Hello.
    I am trying to build a pc using the specifics of this guide, the exact newegg links and all.
    Firstly, after making the selections suggested, my cost came to be about $1000. (of course I picked only 1 of each of the types of components like 1 motherboard 1 processer etc)
    but i did add windows 7 profess to the bundle,. but that is not a 300 dif.

secondly, in addition to the big price gap... i must question if in this post is included everything i will need, minus a monitor, because I have a hd tv for that.
    I see nothing in this build which provides sound, or wireless internet. Am I mistaken that some of the suggested components provide sound and internet capabilities? are there other things i will need to buy for my pc which are not mentioned in this build?

I would appreciate any help, as I am trying to figure out a total cost, and not have to keep finding out i need more and more later on

Thank you
    -Raj

2. Sorth

Sorth New Member

Raj,

I just built this computer last month and it cost me $630.

This does not include wireless internet, or speakers or a monitor or mouse or keyboard. All of those are up to you to buy.

However it does included everything(minus windows) you need to build a working awesome computer. I built my 100% of new egg so if your getting a $370 gap then your doing something wrong. I suggest double checking what's on sale and what he originally posted.

Hope that helps.

Sorth

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @Jeesh,

This PC is meant to do the basics well. Your motherboard comes with an ethernet adapter (for wired networking) and a sound card (plug in them headphones!). Beyond those peripherals you're on your own (monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.) although you're certainly welcome to add those components yourself!

In order to get an accurate price make sure to look for bundles and you also have to include your rebates!

Let me know if there's anything else you can help with!

4. Cheech420

Cheech420 New Member

Hey guys im a total noob to computers and i know this thread is pretty old, but i was wondering what settings this build will allow me to play sc2 at? Also, the gigabytes motherboard is sold out for awhile now and was wondering if this asus motherboard is a good or equal replacement. From specs perspective from a noob it looks almost exactly the same + i read online that asus mobo's are very reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595

Thanks!

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Since you're requesting I suppose I could write a new one :)

6. Cheech420

Cheech420 New Member

:eek::twitcy::twitcy: you don't have to...... :p i was just wonderin if this old build will run sc2 at max settings :rolleyes:

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Just a heads up that I DID update the links on 2/23/2011. It went up slightly in price for the quad core but also the specs improved significantly. Check it out!

8. Cheech420

Cheech420 New Member

Oh mama! I likey... i likey a lot.... Definitely cheaper then buying a prebuilt computer :p.

I have some questions though, since the motherboard is a micro atx physical size, can i downgrade the tower case to an ATX mid / micro ATX Mid tower to shave cost $$$? Im assuming you suggested the beastly Full tower cuz it obviously has more room which would allow all the componenets to dissipate heat easier.

Also, is the 700w PSU a MUST to power all the components (AMD Duel Core Setup) or can i go with a 500w-550w PSU to shave additional costs?

:p i know i know im a budget... my school spiked up class/parking prices for the third time and it's practically making me scrape pennies from the floor lol.

Thanks again!

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    You can do both of those things. Just make sure the video card measurements fit the smaller case.

The lower power PSU will also do fine. Don't go under 500W.

10. ryu4366

ryu4366 New Member

I was wondering if the computer you're describing would be able to support a ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA1366 and an core i7 LGA 1366 instead, or if there would be a space or heating issue.

11. o2bn0g

o2bn0g New Member

I am trying to work with my son on building this computer. This should be interesting. What kind of operating system is recommended?

12. Epiclepsy

Epiclepsy New Member

de_dust2
    If you're an experienced Windows user and like Windows, I'd suggest Windows 7. I -love- Windows 7. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I'd suggest getting 64-bit ONLY if you plan on using anything ABOVE 4GB's of RAM.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @o2bn0g,

This machine will support Windows or Linux. I'd suggest Windows 7...

If you're looking for a Mac build you'd need an Efix chip. Google it.

14. novabossa

novabossa New Member

With the 2/23/11 build, what kind of FPS can you run and at what settings?

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Maxed out, haven't tested FPS but my slower system pulls around 85 FPS though it drops to around 50 in battles.

16. Atomic

Atomic New Member

West Bend, WI
    I also suggest using vista.

17. vidoziz

vidoziz New Member

thanks for post

18. cammco

cammco New Member

im planning on buying a computer next week and i was thinking about buying this one will i be able to get all of these items in canada?
    and will i be able to keep my current graphics card its a GeForce 9600 gt

19. vrejii

vrejii New Member

Hey I clicked on the link for the combo deal and it seems like the deal has expired. Is there another combo deal similar to this one that's going on right now? I checked newegg but I wasn't able to find one. I've been following this thread for a few months now and didn't have the funds to buy it till now. I guess I missed out on a good deal. :(

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    You'll have to wait til I get the motivation to re-link stuff or you can surf for it yourself. Often if you click on an item you want and scroll to the bottom you'll find a combo deal with it.