1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unit Database

Discussion in 'General StarCraft 2 Discussion' started by lurkers_lurk, Jun 10, 2008.

Unit Database

1. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    re

They have now made the Thor a waste of resources.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    No. The Thor is the only ground to air unit that has bonus damage vs light targets. Excellent for countering Muta harrassing, for instance. It will put it dead in the tracks. The Thor has 10 range and deals splash damage. The Mutas stacked would be get owned with their 4 range.
    There are of course more light air units that Mutas. I am just saying that the Thor isn't a waste of resources if bought at the right time to counter the right thing - just like anything else in SC/SC2.

3. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    I liked it better when it was a long range siege weapon. How much anti-air do you need? I just dont see it being that useful now.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Why would you build it for long range siege? Thats what the tank is for and the tank is alot cheaper than a thor was when it was a siege unit.

5. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    With all the resources you use up building a Thor. I would much rather build turrets or Vikings or fighters.

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    You've got a point there. But the thor is mobile, has more (and increasing with upgrade) armour and damage than a turret, plus it splashes. Definitely a better choice than turrets.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Also, The Thor's range is greater than that of a Carrier or Guardian. No other unit is long range GtA. The Viking does bonus damage vs armored targets, while the Thor does extra vs light. Now that I think about it, the Viking can't shoot GtA which means they are totally different units, almost uncomparable.
    The Thor is good where it is atm.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    ah 3 errors in my mind when i read your sentence Gasmaskguy. 1. the Carrier has a longer range than the Thor(if you want to point at Wiki, look at where they sourced that info from, they got it from WWI and not Blizzcon[where blizzard changed their range to 12]).
    2. the Viking does bonus damage against massive units not armored units. and right now the only massive flying units are the Battlecrusier, Mothership, and possible the Carrier.
    3. the Thor does not do bonus damage against light armored units, but does damage against Armored units, and are only good against Mutalisk when they are stacked, which is a bit harder to do in SC2, if the Mutalisk arent stacked tho they can get killed more easily with Vikings and Marines.

9. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Actually, the Thor deals bonus damage versus armored. However, that it deals large scale splash damage, that is reduced heavily by Defense, definitely makes it more effective against small air units than big ones.

Also, the Thor is the ultimate meatshield (500 resources for 800 HP), and does decent damage for its cost against ground units, as well.

The Siege Tank benefits strongly now that the Thor, instead of sharing its role, now shoulders up the Siege Tanks weaknesses, by blowing away air units, acting as a big meatshield, and taking out ground units that get by the Siege Tank volleys.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Woah. From 8(SC) to 12... That's crazy. Ah well, it's the clumped Interceptors that get grinded to dust in my mind anyway. With a range of 10 and a big splash a Thor or 2 can quickly destroy anything clumped in the sky. With no interceptors Carriers can't do much.

Alright. My point was that the Thor and Viking deal different kinds of damage though. Thanks for correcting my mistakes.

11. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Interceptors have an attack range of 8, however, they can potentially be as far as 4 range from the Carrier. This was true in SC1, where a Carrier could initiate the attack, then retreat 4 range, and let the Interceptors bombard from a safe distance.

12. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Ohhhh in luv

13. Mong0!

Mong0! Guest

can anyone tell me how much 1 range is? :p
    in carriers plz ;)

14. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    sorry, do to the morph from 2d to 3d, its hard to determine how much a range of 1 means.

15. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    One thing's for sure though, unlike in SC1, the range is equal in all directions.

16. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    its quite helpfull

__________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

Starcraft2 Addict

School Rumble Addict

17. iambinary

iambinary New Member

this is ingenious!!! now jus put it on Excel, google spreadsheets, a wiki, etc.

then it would be perfect

18. ekulio

ekulio New Member

the numbers themselves really aren't that important (I really have no idea what the numbers a based on anyway) it's the ratio that matters. So to understand the range of a carrier, look at the max range of a marauder in the videos and picture about double that.

19. Shadow[E]

Shadow[E] Moderator

Mass
    I havent been following SC2 Toss builds to much, Whats new about the carrier if any? In competitive play, people only mass carriers for ez win. ANything new or changed about that?

20. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    The Carriers can be set to auto build Interceptors, and have their range increased from 8(from SC1) to 12.

and thats pretty much it.