1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which religion are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TerranGod, Oct 15, 2007.

Which religion are you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TerranGod, Oct 15, 2007.

1. JBL

JBL New Member

TerranGod, you can't believe such a thing because it's NOT true.

it's like saying: I believe that 2 + 2 equals 5.

to answer you, I believe in myself, I have full control on my life and my actions and I do not need anyone to watch out for me.

2. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Hmmm...about 8 1/3 pgs and still no fight....I think we just set a new world record guys :D :afro:

3. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Congrats to all! Now lets beat our own record.

That means no fighting JBL and TerranGod! Arguing in the sake of changing someones opinion is next to pointless.

4. Daseti

Daseti Guest

How is that possibly insulting, it's proving a point. It's not like im saying every single religion is a complete load of bullsheep. i'm just expressing [qoute]freedom of speech[/quote]

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes but in the name of keeping the peace, it is preferable that you keep the direct attacks upon religion to a minimum.

That is a pretty ignorant statement and one that could surely offend someone of that religion. You didn't "prove" anyone wrong. All you did was make a statement that could potentially start an argument. All I'm asking is that you word your points with more tact.

6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    [/quote]

Unfortunately, freedom of speech only does so far these days. I wonder how our freedoms have become so constrained, stupid government. At least religion can't control the government, I't would be interesting to see how that turned out.

7. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

i feel bad. i figured at least one person would tell me my religion is wrong

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

The FSM is ALWAYS right.

9. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

by far the best afterlife :drunk:

10. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Continued existence is such a bitch...

11. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    LOL. So many things happen if I'm asleep.

About Constantine, I read on some books that he serves a pagan church other than Roman Catholic. And the bible he used for the Roman Catholic church isn't really the bible.

Any thought for those who are Roman Catholics here?

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First of all, I want to clear some things up. Not sure who said it, but they said that evolution needs to be involved in religion because it a fact. This is wrong. Evolution will always remain a theory because there is no way to go back in time and prove that these evolutions took place. There will never be enough evidence to make it a law.
    Also, whether Atheism is a religion is debatable, and the outcome depends on what your definition of 'religion' is. To me, religion is a belief of creation what happens in the 'afterlife'. So, to me, Atheism does count as a religion. If you ask an Atheist what religion they are, then they will say 'I'm an Atheist'. They won't say 'I do not believe in any religion, but I have a philosphical view that there is no god or deity-like being that is the creator of the universe and everything'. I have heard a funny quote before stating that 'calling Atheism a religion is like calling baldness a hair color'. I found it funny!

Ok, now... I apologize in advance if this causes any upset. I don't mean to have a go at anyone, offend anyone or challenge any people's faiths. These are my beliefs and thought of religion and I am in no way trying to force them on others. First of all, I am a passionate Atheist, and strongly believe that there are no creators, saviors or omnipotent beings. I believe that religion was invented (if that's the right word) purely because people were scared of the unknown, mainly being what happens after death, and thought up a way to ease their minds. Evidence of this is that almost all religions, like Christianity, Judaism, Buddhisms, the Dreamtime, all believe that the rainbow was invented in a special way. Christians and Jewish people belief that it was a promise from god, Buddhists believe that it is one of the highest states of existence, Aboriginal people belief that it was created by the rainbow serpent, but all of this was because they couldn't prove how it happened. However, since then it has been proven that the rainbow is created through the refraction of light off the water droplets in the air. So, just using Christianity as a example here because I know the most about them, apparently god just decided to invent refraction as a way of promising the human race that he won't flood the world again.

Also, I believe that Atheists, overall, get more out of life. When thinking about it, the majority of other religions all require a lot of time, whether it's going to a church or baptism, or praying to god for a certain amount of time each day, or having a whole lot of restrictions placed upon you because of what you believe in. I believe that god (whichever one it is that actually exists) needs to prove his existence to me personally, for me to believe and worship him/her. Also I believe that god would need to prove that he is worth worshiping for whatever reason. I am never going to just pointlessly waste my life worshiping something that I think exists.

May I now please direct your attention to the following site : Link removed due to prejudiced material. I found this site very interesting and true.

Lastly, I also believe strongly in this saying: To those with religion, no proof is needed, yet to those without religion, no need can be prooved. It is basically saying that people believe what they choose to believe, and nothing that anyone else can say or tell them will change that.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Itzahexgor, I was the one who made the assertion that the "Theory of Evolution" is in fact a law.

Within the scientific community, Evolution is considered to be a law. Of course, even a law is not 100% true. It is 99.99999999999% fact. There is so much overwhelming evidence to support the findings of this Hypothesis that it is not only accepted as a Theory, but as a law.

A Law is a Theory that has so much supporting evidence that it would be irrational to deny it. In most cases this means there is not a single shred of evidence found anywhere that can contradict this theory. Within scientific circles, the Theory of Evolution is accepted as a law.

This is a fact. You cannot debate this. Please look it up... no wait, I'll do it for you. Denying the role of evolution is an irrational argument as is defined by the scientific community. People simply call it the Theory of Evolution because they feel in some way that calling it a Theory takes away from its credibility.

In truth, there is no such thing as the "Theory of Creation" as so many people have put out. It doesn't exist because there is no evidence that would support this Creationist hypothesis. It cannot be tested scientifically and no evidence can ever be provided. Therefore, it could be considered a hypothesis of science, but by no means a Theory or Law.

Gravity
    Things falling is an observation of the pull of bodies towards each other.
    Bodies pulling towards each other is called gravity.
    Gravity is a "fact".

Evolution
    Fruit flies changing generation to generation is an observation of generational organism change.
    Organisms changing generation to generation is called evolution.
    Evolution is a "fact".

Wikipedia entry: Evolution

So you see, Evolution is in fact a law of nature. The real "Theory of Evolution" is the Theory of how it occurs. We're not sure exactly how it occurs, and we could be wrong. But it is a scientifically proven fact that Evolution has occurred. It cannot be denied. If you deny it, you are crazy.

I know this sounds like a sermon from a 1500s preacher saying that God is a fact and you're crazy to deny him, but there is hundreds and hundreds of years of experiments gathered behind proving this. It is true beyond doubt, beyond any hope for doubt. It is time that the religious community accept this and move on. Adapt to change. Evolve. ;)

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Evolution is a law.
    Human Evolution is a theory.

Happy now?

15. coalescence

coalescence New Member

They already did!

There are alot of christians (and it also includes a number of scientists) who believe in evolution, physics, etc etc. But according to them its steered by a higher power. The name of this theory is Intelligent Design.

Read about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

16. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Woo! I love you right now Coal in a totally hetero way

17. Daseti

Daseti Guest

Religious folks need to stop forcing their beliefs onto others, somehow they managed to infiltrate primary schools and force you to take a religion subject atleast once a week, then you get the converters infiltraiting your own private property trying to convert you, conversion should be a sin. A true believer of a religion wouldn't convert you or send others to do the converting.

18. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    Dude, even in this thread you whine about that?

EDIT: And besides, religion is made that way so you can't do anything about it. If you choose to blam them, then do it.

19. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Daseti. Watch yourself.

*Starts polishing the Banhammer*

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    OK people cool down. Don't start on the creationism vs evolution debate.

I should note though that they are not necessarily exclusive. The Bible says God created animals. It never said how. There are many people that believe that evolution either was caused by God or happened after he created animals

Oh also Daseti the Religion topic in schools has nothing to do with converting people. It has the same purpose as one of those diversity or culture education classes: to educate you to other peoples beliefs and thus prevent people from being as closed minded as you seem to be right now about the subject.

That is the major problem with society. Many people cannot accept anyone Else's point of view as having any validity to it and most are not willing to even look at the other's opinion or reasoning.