1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there no more infested Protoss?

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by the8thark, Mar 28, 2010.

Why are there no more infested Protoss?

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Story and Races' started by the8thark, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

In retrospect it seems that by the khala protecting the protoss from infestation, they merely meant their psionic powers. The zerg have always had trouble infesting psychics, with the notably exception of Kerrigan and possibly stukov (also, they thought they infested Duran, if that character still exists).

2. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

That stuff about "trouble infesting terran psychics" is based on a misinterpretation of StarCraft: Hybrid. The problem was infesting terrans (and keeping them functional), not that the victims were psychics.

The issue was a genetic one, and there's no evidence at all that had anything to do with psychicness. (A cerebrate noted this after numerous infestations, and most of the victims would not have been psychic.)

Regardless, Kerrigan solved the problem by Shadow Hunters. One wonders if there will be more now that her status has ... changed. (I suspect yes. Picture a powerful queen leading a rival Swarm.)

3. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

Mar Sara (kidding), Chicago
    Sorry if this thread is too old to respond to, but I've been curious about the infested protoss myself. I remember them saying that infested protoss WERE IN a very early alpha build of SC2, but I've been unable to find any pictures or videos at all to confirm this. Any luck for anyone else?

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

nope, there never was a model for the infested protoss. Back when they were planned, they were created by the infestor infesting a protoss building, using the infested marine as a replacement model. They never were given their own.

5. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

Was there at least a model for infested buildings? I find it odd that even though Protoss themselves are immune to infestation, no Protoss buildings are ever seen infested by the Zerg. Why couldn't they infest Protoss buildings and use them? For example, they could grow weapons and act as a staionary turret, spawn large amounts of broodlings (like in earlier builds) or perform their orignal tasks for a nexus and assimilator.

In addition, the StarCraft wiki says that the Khala is what protects the Protoss from infestation, but what about Dark Templar? Are they in theory vulnerable ti infestation, and it hasn't happened yet because the zerg have been unable to capture one alive? I'm thinking there's more to it than the Khala. I think there's some genetic reason. Maybe the Xel'Naga engineered the zerg infestation virus to be useless against Protoss, for whatever reason.

6. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

As far as I can tell, the only things that zerg can create are organic, and inside a protoss building is just a teleporter or factory.

The only exception would be photon cannons. In StarCraft: Ghost, zerg could infest terran turrets, so presumably there's lore support for zerg photon cannons. (Mind you, Ghost was canceled, so take with a grain of salt.)

The zerg have captured some Dark Templar alive (in StarCraft I -- Into the Darkness) including Zeratul, but none were infested. We don't know why. I presume they're immune for some other reason.

7. Meyerm

Meyerm New Member

My theory isn't about the Khala, but rather genetics. The Xel'Naga created the Protoss and Zerg to be two halfs of a greater whole, and hybrids of the two species would come to be the next generation of Xel'Naga. But infested Protoss ARE NOT hyrbrids. The Xel'Naga didn't want the Protoss to become part of the Zerg gene pool, they wanted hyrbrids, equal mixes between the two species. If the Protoss were vulnerable to infestation, the Overmind would have won and the Protoss assimilated, and no Protoss=No Hyrbrids. I'm saying Protoss immunity to infestation isn't a natural coincidence, I'm saying it was intentionally made that way by the Xel'Naga to ensure their plans would not be hindered by one race consuming the other.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Well, if the protoss had been infested, the result would also be a hybrid (though of a different sort) between zerg and protoss, and they would still be able to take their place in the cycle. It seems stupid that if the plan was for someone to hybridize the two species, they couldn't just have done so directly after the creation of the zerg. Also, in starcraft 1, the overmind seemed to belief he could infest the protoss after manifesting on Aiur, though no real reason was given.

My guess is that the Xel'naga did create the barrier, but only to prevent the creation of unworthy processors. Basically, when the protoss had proven themselves capable, their immunity would have been removed. Since the protoss did not, the Xel'naga later planned to create a new species with purity of Essence, but before they could do so, the zerg ate them.

9. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I believe that, according to Firstborn, that's been retconned; the xel'naga left the protoss because they were done with them. (If anything, they might have waited too long, hanging around and giving them tech.)