1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why No Diablo Movie??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by freedom23, Jul 23, 2009.

Why No Diablo Movie??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by freedom23, Jul 23, 2009.

1. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I was reading some articles on the net earlier this morning and it so happens that I've got a glimpse on some news about Warcraft franchise being movified and changing directors... I know that most people are into warcraft especially WoW that made the foundation of its great fame. But somehow it's just unfair to only have warcraft in the theaters because I also believe that everyone rooting for this film is also feeling the same for the other 2 major franchises, SC & Diablo... But who knows maybe it would depend on how the movie will turn out.. Cause as far as everybody knows, most/all game turned to movies, didn't hit that much at all.

2. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    The difference from diablo,starcraft. Then warcraft 3 and wow. Was the fact taht they were there latest released games, with pretty colors o.o. Atracting more people then starcraft and diablo. Another reason would be the fact that wow was there only rpg. And one of the greatest rpg's. I think its the graphics that caused warcraft to become more popular than the others.

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I wouldn't call WC3/WoW's graphics "good" in most cases. What is undeniable though is that through some series of events both games have become famous world-wide, and I guess such fame is worthy of a movie deal. The same can be said for any novel-movie conversions out there: are novels that movies are based on "good?" That's a matter of opinion, but either way the novel has managed to earn enough notoriety that movie producers think they can squeeze more money out of it.

It should also be noted that, even with new gaming systems like the Wii, which try to bring gaming to the mainstream, the video gaming culture is still secluded from the mainstream. Despite huge growth in the last decade, movie producers are probably weary of making a movie based on a video game because they're not sure how it will be received. Final Fantasy: Advent Children is a great example: Everyone in Japan at least knew of Final Fantasy before the movie's release, so producers figured the movie would be well received there. On the other hand, Final Fantasy fandom in western civilization tends to be restriced to "nerds" "geeks" etc. the DVD does have English dubs/titles on the options menu, but if everyone in say, the U.S. was as into Final Fantasy as Japan, the makers of the film probably would have gone as far as to reanimate the speech in FF:AC to match english dubs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. Gforce

Gforce New Member

At least the Warcraft movie is not being directed by *Uwe*, may the bastard rot in hell for his actions.

5. DefenderOTA

DefenderOTA Guest

Personally, i thought WoW was so rediculously fun for other reasons in the time i played it. it was really fullfillling for me to see all the places and people and creature i knew so well from WCII and WCIII in person. The flavor Azeroth as a unique fantasy world was overwhelming in the scale that WoW put it in. I actually walked beside REXXAR! it was fantastic, but that may just be the writers Spirit in me screaming for creative outlet, idk, i could see how alot of people, especially those without the background knowledge of its predescessors could overlook or fail to recognize the value in that essence and focus to much on the less than perfect gameplay... yay milling???

But the they put Bloodelves on the horde ANGER >=\ but God knows that is a topic i could go on about for ages, one for another thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  6. Sueco

Sueco New Member

Regardless what you think of both game series the answer is pretty simple.

Diablo doesnt have 11m subscribers who are dead certain to go see a diablo movie.

I like both but as far as gameplay, lore, epicness and popularity, WoW has kicked D2s ass, no question about it.

I hope D3 can raise the bar.

7. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    i want a diablo movie...

they might release one after diablo3 comes out. maybe 7 or 8 years after when everyone knows about it =P

WE CAN ONLY HOPE. *keeps fingers crossed*

8. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I think the reason it's a Warcraft movie is because it is more widely known and popular than the other Blizzard franchises. Even people that don't play know of the game. From a business stand point of view it makes sense to make it a Warcraft movie because it has a much better chance of being successful and making profit than say from Diablo or Starcraft.

9. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Just wait till the other "Crafts turned online" lol as if....