Zerg/Protoss genders...

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 29, 2007.

Zerg/Protoss genders...

Discussion in 'StarCraft Original' started by Whatsifsowhatsit, May 29, 2007.

1. Whatsifsowhatsit

Whatsifsowhatsit New Member

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Hey,

I was wondering how genders would work with Protoss and Zerg! I think in Protoss it's very similar to Terran, as you get for example the Matriarch in the BW campaign, who's obviously a female and addressed as such... but you don't really see much of them there, so I also added these into the topic (the Protoss)... I'm mostly concerned about the Zerg, since though they have Kerrigan of course, she's originally from the Terran so I'm not sure if it counts =P

Does anybody know how Zergs' genders work, and how they reproduce etc.?

Now, I typically assigned genders to the Zerg units kinda subconsciously ... like... Drone: I'm not sure; Zergling: male; Hydralisk: male; Lurker: male; Overlord: hmm male?; Mutalisk: female; Guardian: female; Devourer (hey never really looked at this picture yet!): female; Scourge: male; Queen: female; Ultralisk: male; Defiler: female. Only the Larva is truly genderless (not sure about the egg and Infested Terran, though the latter one could be kinda seen as female too I think...)

2. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    In their pre-assimilated forms, the Zerg units probably had different sexes(genders are social roles, not necessarily attached to reproduction), but in their current form, they don't reproduce so they don't need any distinction, maybe they're like bees and ants and are all female. The only way Zerg reproduce is by Hatcheries, Lairs, and Hives producing Larva.

3. mc2

mc2 New Member

Protoss definitely have gender distinction. But they do not reproduce sexually. All Protoss units/people are "warped in" from the powerful psionic matrix surrounding Aiur and Shakuras. Khaydarin Crystals are required for the warping to be successful. And most of the time they also need Vespene gas to assist the warping. So basically it's Psionic Matrix + Khaydarin Crystals ---> Protoss.

With Zerg, yeah, all zerg units/organisms are "morphed" from the larvae produced by the Hatchery/Lair/Hive. The morphing requires minerals and/or vespene gas. So the question is "How does the Hatch/Lair/Hive produce the larvae?" According to the Overmind: "You [as a cerebrate/unit] are part of the swarm. If your flesh shall ever fall, that flesh shall be made anew, this is my convenent with all cerebrates". Therefore the Hatchery/Lair/Hive produce larvae by "recycling" organic wastes from dead bodies of fallen zerg units.
    Dead zerg + Minerals + gas -----> larvae + creep + nutrients

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Warped in from where....

o_O;....

5. mc2

mc2 New Member

Honestly speaking, I'm kind of puzzled too.

It's "Warped In" from the "Powerful Psionic Matrix that emaninates from Aiur". That means Protoss units are spontanenously generated from Aiur's "Psionic Atmosphere". Whilst the Khaydarin Crystals are needed to mark the "psionic signature" of a Protoss.

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Well, that takes the fun outta everything....

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Protoss have distinct sexes, the only things those are use for are role differentiation (which we have seen none of) and reproduction.

8. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Ah okay... guess that's my English being a second language part coming in again... so that works by definition like that?

9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    It is actually a distinction that most people don't realize. They often are used interchangeably, but it helps to avoid confusion when using them in discussion.

10. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I think that larvae have 2 sexes, just like snails.

And the part of protoss being warped in? Total bollocks.

11. Whatsifsowhatsit

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    According to the American Heritage Dictionary, it's "Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture." (gender)... so are you sure it excludes the physical sexual identity and isn't just used more as the sexual identity in relation to society and culture?

Ah well I don't care much either way I'll just use it for society and culture hehe...

Anyway I agree on the larvae 2 genders bit I think...

12. mc2

mc2 New Member

The production process of a Protoss is actually published by Blizzard in one of their books...........

13. Pix

Pix New Member

The whole "warp" process is FROM Aiur. You'll notice that the Protoss have no missions where they warp in troops on Aiur. That's because all of their people, weapons, buildings, supplies etc. are built on Aiur. They are then WARPED to where they are needed.
    ~Pix~

14. capthavic

capthavic New Member

The Zerg don't have really have genders, at least generally speaking. Kerrigan was a woman and the overmind/cerebrets sounded male but I doubt they had any and/or working genetalia. As for the general zerg units they are unisex monsters created on demand at the hatchery. Thats why the Confed had no luck getting them to breed and had to lure more to study.

15. Cerebrate Degoth

Cerebrate Degoth New Member

Larvea are made at the hatchery cause the hatchery is a living organism. evolved to spawn larvae.

i was going to say what pix said, but, yeah. they are warped from aiur to elsewhere in the galaxy when needed....seriously...made from the atmosphere?... :-\

16. Pix

Pix New Member

xD
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure all of the races in Starcraft have genders, and that the Protoss at least reproduce sexually.
    The Zerg however... who knows? I guess they're just... spawned... so no need for gender, unless for social roles.
    ~Pix~

17. mc2

mc2 New Member

It says on wiki that "As only one female Protoss is seen, and not in detail, the physical differences (if any) between males and females are unknown, as are the Protoss reproductive systems".

So we cannot be certain if Protoss actually reproduces sexually like animals on Earth.

18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i would've thought that the toss would sort of physionicly merge to create their young. warped from attmosphere? then how would they come in as dragoons in mechanical shells etc. i always thought they were warped from protoss planets notice that every toss biulding is a warp gate?

Zerg i think that larva are unisex possibly same with drones. most zerg creatures are an infested form of something else so i suppose that their sterilized.
    what about zerg 'buildings'?

19. Agamemnon

Agamemnon New Member

I kinda compare Zerg to the Borg from Star Trek when I think about genders. Hatcheries are designed to spawn Larva which hold all the DNA for the assimilated strains Zerg can evolve into. Drones probably hold all the DNA for the buildings and once they morph, I think they cease to be a drone and become a bigger entity capable of spawning and evolving other strains already in the Zerg DNA. I do not think they reproduce, not sexually at least and as such would not really need sexes. They are grown or spawned as needed by the Swarm. The Creep makes a good analogy to the the Borg Nanobots helping assimilate the land it grows on and the buildings that are rooted in it.

;)

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I don't know much about Star Trek, but don't the borg just assimilate and not spawn?